Pioneer Trek

Shawn and I were called to serve as a Ma and Pa for our Stake Pioneer Trek this year. My first thought was, "Yeh, what a fun experience!" Shawn and I love recreational outdoor activities like backpacking and camping. This was the perfect opportunity to do that together, guilt free, and have a neat spiritual experience with it.  Then my thoughts were quickly follwed by, "How in the world is that gonna work with nursing Molly?" I knew I'd be right in the middle of nursing Molly and didn't want this venture to break that good pattern. I'd never left my baby in the first year and certainly not for consecutive nights. However, I accepted the challenge and neat opportunity and hoped for the best with the kiddos. Fortunately, who the Lord calls he qualifies. My sweet parents took Molly and Landon. They did great, Molly took the bottle, and when I returned Molly went right back to nursing like I hadn't ever left! Whew!
Love this pic!
The youth arriving to trek! Hahaha - pioneer garb with their aviator sunglasses! Love their "pioneer" style!
Walking...walking... and walking some more
The handcarts empty were 300 pounds and with the equipment they were 500 - 600 pounds to push!
Shawn and I were blessed with the greatest family of youth! They all had a special place and fit in our trek family. They were strong,  spiritual, smart,  had great attitudes, and were so funny! (Very necessary to keep you entertained through all the walking!) 
Gravel Hill - pioneers went down this scary hill with handcarts and so did we!
No easy task!
Amazingly these guys kept their spirits high in spite of tough times.
Case and point - Hailey giving the thumbs up after Gravel Hill. 
Lyndsey laughing with the guys
Ahhh! Just an example of what these guys suffered through and still kept good attitudes! Amazing! Can't imagine what those poor pioneer's weather faces looked like! I felt like this, but don't have photographic evidence. My eyes kept watering, my teeth were gritty with dust from the trail and I had dirt in my face wrinkles.  
Camp
Yes, these were our shelter - tarps, open on both sides. We'd then sleep with no pads or pillows right on the ground! Yep... made for cold and miserable nights! 
Trying to cook with numb limbs
This was one of the most somber points in trek - "The Women's Pull"
This is where the guys separate from the women. The women then push their physical limits with pulling these 600 pound handcarts straight uphill without the men. It gives everyone a new appreciation for men and women and their roles in a family.  
The women alone pulling through mud holes and the hottest part of the day.
I realize this is a "very attractive" picture of me pulling, but this was strenuous work!
Smiling because we made it to the top to see and greet the guys waiting!
The men watching the women come up the hill without their help and wanting so badly to help.
No one had told them to take off their hats. They did this out of respect. Good guys.
Some of these men/leaders had lost wives from sickness and so this Women's Pull took on more meaning and significance for them. You can see it in their faces here. 
Our guys
The guys finally able to walk aside us at the top of the hill! Good reunion to see them;)
Keeping with the our pioneer heritage - straight face pose! 
A few things I took from my Trek experience:
  • A new and deeper appreciation for my pioneer ancestors and the sacrifices, suffering, and hardships they endured.
  • The youth are amazing! I have confidence in them and our future! 
  • The youth are more righteous than ever before. It seems like they may be surrounded by more immorality and wickedness, but they choose to be good!
  • This was hard. And this was only three days! I can't imagine doing this everyday for an entire season and in the extreme cold, extreme heat, or worse the snow! 
  • This was hard. And I had strong youth! I can't imagine having to do this with Molly and Landon! - carrying them! Or little Landon keeping up. Poor pioneer children and poor parents that lost them along the way. The Donner Party who came through in the winter of 1846 would turn from their little ones for a minute and would turn back around to find the wolves had gotten them! I couldn't survive such a tragedy.
  • I did this pumping, but I now have a deeper appreciation for those Mom's who had infants and were pregnant. How? How did they do it?!?
  • I've learned to be comfortable you must be well equipped. (The hubby preaches this all the time). My first night was miserable sleeping! I went to the porta potties to pump (yes, this is where I pumped as to not expose myself and gross people out) when I came out (just 15 min.) everyone in the camp was asleep! Go figure after a long strenuous day.  In an effort to not wake people I got into my sleeping bag quickly without much thought. I FROZE all night long! Next night was a different scenario! Same temperature, different story because this time Shawn helped me get well equipped! I highly recommend these items to make for a better sleeping in the outdoors and cold:
    • Wearing bonnet at night for ears and face
    • Wool blanket over sleeping bag to keep body heat insulated
    • Tarp underneath body, so cold ground doesn't freeze you to the bone!
    • A bivy sack. What's a bivy sack you ask? That's what I said too when Shawn spent some serious $$$ at REI for them. However, I no longer question his intentions to keep me a happy camper. Anyway, its a lightweight sack (like a cocoon) that goes over your sleeping bag to protect from the weather, bugs, and moisture! Yes, very necessary for ease of sleeping under a tarp. 
  • I'm grateful for the strong and faithful men in my life. Women's pull and the entire trek reminded me how grateful I am for a good husband and good men in my life. Life is just easier with the help and partnership of a man. If it weren't for my strong boys and husband I'd be miles behind the crew, still trying to pack up the equipment.
  • I now understand why the pioneers faces look so weathered in old photos. My face felt and looked and felt like leather after three days of sun, wind, cold, dust, and harsh outdoor climate. Their poor faces got beat up out in that severe weather. Its no reason why they may have looked older than we do now.
  • There's a reason the women wore bonnets! They are awesome! Yes, I looked kinda dorky for trek, but I totally would sport a bonnet for the trek. Reasons being:
    • They protect from the sun, wind, dust, and rain. 
    • They keep your eyes and neck covered.
    •  No one sees your grease ball hair under the bonnet.
    • They kept my ears and hair warm and dry at night.
  • I learned a few really good recipes from trek and we now love to dutch oven cook!
  • I ask myself, "How did they do it?" This experince has taught me these men and women had to have a strong faith. Faith, in the Lord, that he would help them overcome and through those times. But faith, in Joseph Smith too. Because no one is signing up for that hardship unless they are fully invested and have a firm testimony of him.

0 comments: