Little 11 month-old, Landon, has been through it! Tuesday morning of last week, Landon woke up with a fever and what seemed like a dark tear coming out of his eye. Within a few short hours Landon’s eye started to look inflamed and swollen. I immediately set up an appointment with the Pediatrician. The doctor told me Landon has Cellulitis and its spread to the muscle tissues of the eye; hence, the dramatic swelling. I then had to hold Landon down while the nurse shot him up with some sort of muscle relaxant to aid in the swelling (huge needle – hated it). Our Pediatrician prescribed some antibiotic eye drops and made a follow up appointment for the next morning. I came home to administer the eye drops; however, there was absolutely no way Shawn and I, together, holding him down, could pry open his eye! Landon was burning up, getting chills, and looked like he'd been through a boxing match! So we sent pictures to my brother-in-law whose business partner is an anesthesiologist. He passed the pictures around, on his phone, to a team of doctors who told us we need to get to ER immediately! We rushed to the ER. Doctors and nurses got him hooked up to an IV and starting pumping him with meds. They tried several failed attempts to get the IV in his foot and both hands to finally get the IV inserted! There’s nothing worse than your little baby staring at you out of his one eye whimpering and crying while you hold him down! Then from the hours of 1 am to 3 am Landon kept pulling at his IV! Again and again, we had to bat his hands away!Doctors told us that Cellulitis is common, but that how quickly his spread was concerning. It could even infect the deep into the eyeball and worse into the sinuses and brain. At that point, it could impede vision or be fatal. Doctors weren't sure how far it had progressed; we had to have a CT scan to determine the severity. Landon had to be strapped down while he was screaming and crying. He kept looking at us through his one good eye with a look that screams, "Why aren't you helping me? Why are you doing this to me?" A look, that we would see dozens more times over the next few days. Worst feeling in the world! The doctors and nurses were quiet during the CT scan and we just watched our little guy suffer as we waited for the results. We got the CT scan results back to find out that the infection had surrounded the eye and infected the muscle tissues around the eye, but not actually the eyeball at this point. Great news! This meant no surgery would be required and eye sight would likely not be damaged if antibiotics kick in within time to reverse the infection. No sleep Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night for us or Landon. Fever continues and swelling isn't improving. Thursday, later morning, the swelling starts to come down drastically and continues throughout the day at a speed as fast as it came on. Friday we're still in the hospital, but swelling is significantly better. So much so, that the doctors are amazed at how quickly Landon is improving. The doctors said that he had a turn around that morning. We know that was due to family and friends prayers and support. Family had requested prayers in the Temple. It was shortly after that Landon's condition turned around and improved rapidly. We don't believe for a second that it was a coincidence and we're so grateful for that blessing and the prayer of so many of you in Landon's behalf. We have been so touched by so many people's concern and love for Landon. We're so grateful for modern medicine, good doctors and nurses, and your prayers. Thank you.

Landon's eye once he could finally open it!
The only photo (from Shawn's phone) we have from the hospital once he stared improving! He could finally open his eye here!
18 comments:
Oh, Katie! i can't imagine what this was like for you and Shawn. I'm reading your post and crying! That must have been horrible. I hope he continues to make a full recovering and you guys can go home!
Katie, I can't believe that! I'm so glad he's on the mend, you're in our prayers.
of my gosh these pics break my heart! I'm so glad that little boy is recovering and able to open his eye! He is so dang cute and I love him to death!
Oh Katie... I have been thinking about you. I heard he had been in the hospital, but no one knew the details. I can tell you that I feel for you and it is the worst feeling in the world being in there. He is so adorable and that eye makes me cringe in pain. I am glad he is doing better. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you and when I can bring you dinner.
What a scary thing to go through! We're so glad he's getting better. Grandma called and gave us an update, but those pictures help us see a little better what you all were going through! Prayer is a powerful thing!
I am so glad he is doing better! Those pictures were so sad, looking at them made my eyes water! Please let us know if we can do anything for you guys! We should get together and have dinner or something!
oh my gosh katie.. that had to have be so scary and stressful. I'm so glad to hear everything is better.. poor little guy:(
Katie, I'm so sorry you went through that. Reading that and looking at those pictures just makes me cry. So so happy that he is doing better.
Talk about serious trauma! That really is so horrible. I can only imagine how it would feel to watch your baby boy go through all of that. I am SOOO glad he is ok and that it didn't get too far into his eye/head. Yes, prayer does work, and it is so wonderful! Love you guys, so happy he is getting better!
I am sooooo glad that he is ok now. You guys are such good parents and great examples to us with your patience and faith.
Oh my word Katie!! that is so sad. I thought we were going threw tough times. nothing tops that!! that is the saddest!!! poor guy. don't you hate the whole hospital, doctor visits. You know they're helping him but it's so hard to watch your baby go threw all the tests, needles, etc. and the whole crying looking at you, why aren't you helping me. I totally know that one... I have gotten that a few times with the many visits to the Dr. fighting hayden's RSV since Dec. We'll keep him in our prayers. Poor GUY!!!
Poor Landon! I am so sorry that you guys had to go through that. I hope that he continues to fully recover and give him a big hug from me. :-)
Sad!!! Poor little Landon. I can't believe how fast that came on. I am so glad he is going to be ok. Thank goodness for prayers and modern medicine! I can only imagine the feeling of not be able to make your own child feel safe, I bet that was horrible for you and Shawn. He is the cutest thing ever, I think you two should make more soon:) he he! Well, I am so relieved he is going to be ok.
Oh my gosh katie. I am so sorry about your little one! There is nothing worse then watching your little one in pain. They are so helpless and thats what is so hard on us moms. Im so sorry! Im so glad that everything is going better!!
OH HIS POOR LITTLE EYE!! IT JUST MAKES ME CRINGE LOOKING AT IT! I AM SO GLAD HE IS DOING BETTER!!!
That seriously made my heart melt in an instant. I feel so bad for the little guy! Im so happy that he recovered so well, that must have been so hard.
Ouch. Poor little guy!
I hate the feeling you have when you have to hold down your kid while they look at you with tears! That's the worst. And believe you me, it sucks even when it's not your own kiddo. The staff shouldn't have had you hold him down. They should have done it and let you be Landon's "safe person". Anyway, glad it's over.
Oh poor baby! That SO breaks my heart. No baby or parent should EVER have to go through something SO scary! I am so thrilled that everything looks back to normal.
Post a Comment